If you’re not a car aficionado, choosing the right provider when you need auto body repair in Oak Park, MI can be confusing—especially if different shops give you vastly different estimates for the same kind of work. Most of us know that if something seems too good to be true, it probably is, but is there ever a time you can go for the $300 repair instead of the $3,000 one? Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Get the scoop from previous customers first: Word of mouth is one of the best tools you can use when you’re looking for the right auto body shop. See what kind of recommendations you get from your friends and family, and then go to review sites like Yelp and Google for more information. You can also check with the Better Business Bureau to find out their rating. Look for patterns in the reviews—if one person has a bad experience, but the rest of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, that’s a good sign.
- Consider the location: If the shop is in a ritzy location and has a lot of front office staff, they may be charging higher prices to support their costs. It’s worth checking multiple locations to see if the estimates vary drastically.
- Get multiple estimates: Speaking of estimates, don’t settle for working with the first shop you call. Once you call a few auto body repair shops, you’ll have a better idea of the range, and which estimates are on the ends of the bell curve. Ask exactly which repairs they’re estimating for—are they going solely by the evident damage, or are they estimating for work they might have to do?
- Ask a lot of questions: When you get an estimate, take the time to ask questions. Ask how they come to their estimate figures (many shops use a reference book that gives specific time frames for each repair), whether they have fire and theft insurance, what their warranties are like and what kind of materials they’ll use (new, aftermarket or otherwise). Ask how many paint coats they apply and whether they use clear coat. You can also ask about what recourse you have if you’re unhappy with the work.
- Trust your gut: Finally, always trust your gut. If a shop’s owner or employees seem shady or dismissive, you’re not obligated to work with them—even if your insurance company recommends them. There will be many more shops who would be happy to do the work the right way.
With some preparation, you’ll be able to choose the best shop for your auto body repair needs.
Learn more about auto body repair in Oak Park, MI
Autobahn Collision is a full-service auto body shop in Oak Park, MI for all makes and models. Our certified specialists work with all OEM products and aftermarket parts. We will be happy to offer a no-hassle, free estimate for all your collision repair needs. If you need vehicle repairs after a collision, get in touch with us today!