Being involved in an auto accident can be nerve-racking, but it’s important to stay calm. Here are seven things you need to do after a car accident in Oak Park, MI:
- Stop at the scene: It doesn’t matter if the accident is small—never drive away from the scene. Pull over or park where it’s safe. If the accident created debris, set up flares or flashlights around the crash area, and keep your car’s hazard lights on. Get back in your vehicle until help arrives, or stand off to the far side of the road if your car is severely damaged.
- Call the police: A major car crash in Oak Park, MI requires a report to the police. However, even a crash yielding no serious injuries warrants an on-site police report. Your insurance company may want this report sent to them, even for insurance claims solely for damage to your vehicle. When the police arrive at the scene, make sure you tell the officer exactly what happened as well as anything you’re uncertain about. Listen to what the other person involved in the accident says to the officer to ensure their statement is accurate.
- Take photos: If there is visible damage to your vehicle or the other party’s vehicle, take photographs. If you have visible injuries due to the accident, photograph them as well. Do your best to take pictures as soon as possible after the accident, and stay out of the way of investigating officers.
- Exchange information: Responding law enforcement will take down the information of everyone involved in the accident, but not every accident requires the police to come. In this case, it’s up to you to get the name, address and phone number of all drivers and passengers involved in the crash. Ask to see everyone’s insurance cards, and get contact information from witnesses for insurance purposes or possible legal action.
- See a doctor: It’s not unusual for injuries caused by car accidents to present a day or two after the initial impact. Go see your doctor if this happens. However, it’s advised that you go to the emergency room if you have obvious injuries or feel pain just after the accident.
- Call your insurance company: You must notify your insurance company of an auto accident involving you as soon as possible. As long as you make a report and cooperate fully, your agent will be able to guide you through the auto claim steps and how to submit auto accident-related medical bills. Your specific coverage depends on the type of insurance policy you have.
- Call your mechanic: Unless your vehicle is clearly a total loss, contact your local auto body repair shop to set up an appointment for repairs. But before you call, make sure the shop you choose is covered by your insurance—otherwise, you could end up paying out of pocket. Many insurance companies keep a list of shops they partner with for repairs.
Autobahn Collision is here to help after a car accident in Oak Park, MI. Reach out to us to learn more about what we can do for you.